& International StarT Gala 2017
Helsinki, Finland, May 22nd – 24th, 2017
- Warmly Welcome!
- Organized in Collaboration
LUMA Centre Finland has organised International Symposium on Science Education (ISSE) for the last six years. This year the symposium will be organised again, with new name International LUMAT Symposium: Research and Practice in Math, Science and Technology Education (LUMAT).
We have the honour and pleasure to invite you to Helsinki, Finland, from 22nd to 24th May 2017, to the LUMAT 2017 symposium.
We welcome math, science and technology teachers from all educational levels, prospective teachers, teacher educators and researchers in math, science and technology education to attend this symposium to share ideas on math, science and technology education and to discuss new developments in the field.
The symposium is based on plenary lectures, discussion sessions and some hands-on activities.
The language of the symposium is English. The theme for the LUMAT 2017 is creativity and sustainable future. (The call for abstracts was open until January 31st, 2017.)
The programme (.pdf)
LUMAT 2017 is organized at the same time as National LUMA Days for Finnish teachers etc., so the programme is partly the same.
The Finnish National and International StarT Gala on Tue 23rd May is also part of the programme.
Please note that the programme is not available in paper form at the venue.
ICT is utilized in many sessions, so BYOD, Bring Your Own Device.
You can share new ideas, feelings etc. in social media with #LUMAT2017.
Mon, 22nd May
A Short Introduction to the New Finnish Core Curricula in Mathematics and Science Education (T. Koljonen & J. Tulivuori)
LUMAT Oral Presentations
- Autonomous Learning Behavior In Informal Science Learning (C. Shih & C. Ku)
- Developing Students’ Creativity by Interplay of Alternatives (E. Teteleva)
- Facilitating Experiment-Based Learning in Primary School Chemistry and Physics (P. Häkkinen)
Virtual LUMAT Oral Presentations
- Board Game Based Learning: Hembizika (M. Šljivović)
- Evaluation Of Turkish Undergraduate Students’ Images Of Scientists (B. Ozkan, E. Senocak, V. Ozeke & G. Guler)
- Exploring the Paradigm of Multiple Nets to Inspire Creativity (A. Qadeer)
- Inquiry-Based Field Trip To A Botanical Garden (G. N. Carreira Pereira)
Wed, 24th May
LUMAT Oral Presentations
- Can Digital Environments Help Us to Create More Sustainable World? (K. Saastamoinen)
- Too Much Digital Stimulation Makes Our Kids Stupid (K. Saastamoinen)
What Scientix Offers for STEM Teachers? (T. Kähärä)
The registration form »
The registration closes on Monday, May 15th. You can register at the info desk at the venue, too.
There are no registration fees.
Proceedings of LUMAT 2017 has been published in LUMAT-B journal.
The deadline for submitting manuscripts through the journal’s website was October, 31st 2017.
More information about preparing manuscripts and submission of them can be found at the journal’s website.
Organized in Collaboration
The symposium is organized by the LUMA Centre Finland with its partners.
- The board of the LUMA Centre Finland
Programme planning committee
- Director of the LUMA Centre Finland, Prof. Dr. Maija Aksela, University of Helsinki (chair)
- StarT Project Manager Outi Haatainen, University of Helsinki
- Executive Director Hanna Kaisa Hellsten, The Association of Biology and Geography Teachers, BMOL
- Councellor of Education Teijo Koljonen, Finnish National Agency of Education
- Chairman Leena Mannila, The Finnish Association for Teachers of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Informatics, MAOL
- Director Liisa Tenhunen-Ruotsalainen, Economic Information Office, TAT
- Administrative Assistant of the LUMA Centre Finland, Planning officer Lauri Vihma, University of Helsinki (secretary)
Organizations in collaboration / as exhibitors
LUMAT 2017 takes place in Helsinki, the capital of Finland.
Please note that the LUMA Centre Finland is not able to provide any grants for traveling to the symposium.
- Monday 22nd: The programme will happen in the Physicum building (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2) at Kumpula campus, except the ‘Get together’ in the main building of the University of Helsinki (entrance at Fabianinkatu 33).
- Tuesday 23rd: The International StarT Gala will happen in the main building of the University of Helsinki (entrance at Unioninkatu 34) in the city centre.
- Wednesday 24th: The programme will happen in the Physicum building.
Useful information about Helsinki
- Visit Helsinki
- City of Helsinki
- Public traffic in Helsinki area
- Map of Helsinki
- Helsinki Brochures
- Weather in Helsinki
Useful information about Finland
- Visit Finland
- This is Finland
- A visa to visit Finland
- Banks and Money in Finland
- Useful Words & Phrases in Finnish
The hotels listed below have a room quota or special price for participants in the LUMAT 2017.
The room reservation has to be made directly to the hotel, via their website, by email or by phone. Please remember to include the given booking code when making the reservation.
There might be some changes to the room prices shown on this page. (The University of Helsinki / the LUMA Centre Finland does not take responsibility over the changes done after the room quota was agreed on.) Please note that the quota in some hotel might be full by the time you are making the reservation.
Please also note that all the quotas/special prices have dates on when the booking has to be made by and after that date there is no guarantee you will be able to reserve a room in that hotel.
The room fee is paid directly to the hotel.
The University of Helsinki / the LUMA Centre Finland can not provide any grants for accommodation.