Tampere, Finland, June 5th – 6th, 2018
- Warmly Welcome!
- Call for Presentations
LUMA Centre Finland has the honour and pleasure to invite you to Tampere, Finland, from 5th to 6th June 2018, to the International LUMAT Symposium: Research and Practice in Math, Science and Technology Education (LUMAT) 2018.
We welcome math, science and technology teachers from all educational levels, prospective teachers, teacher educators and researchers, developers and other experts in math, science and technology education to attend this symposium to share ideas on math, science and technology education and to discuss new developments in the field.
The language of the symposium is English.
LUMAT 2018 is organized at the same time as National LUMA Days for Finnish teachers etc., so the programme is partly the same.
The Finnish National and International StarT Gala on Tue 5th June is also part of the programme.
- The programme (.pdf)
- ICT is utilized in many sessions, so BYOD, Bring Your Own Device.
- Please note that the programme is not available in paper form at the venue.
- You can share new ideas, feelings etc. in social media with @lumasuomi and #LUMAT2018.
- Keynote: What is Artificial Intelligence and how will it impact all our lives?
- Finnish National & International StarT Gala 2018
The online registration closes on May, 25th. (You can register at the information/registration desk at the venue, too.)
- Registration Form
You can choose the sessions you would like to attend at the venue.
There are no registration/participation fees.
The symposium takes place at the Main campus of the University of Tampere, in the center of the city of Tampere, Finland.
The coffee point of the symposium, in Pinni B building, will provide participants with free coffee all day.
You can enjoy breakfast, lunch etc. at your own cost in the Minerva restaurant.
There are car parking places for example at the Technopolis building (on the other side of the Kanslerinrinne street).
Useful information about the city of Tampere:
Useful information about Finland:
- Visit Finland
- This is Finland
- A visa to visit Finland
- Banks and Money in Finland
- Useful Words & Phrases in Finnish
Please note that the LUMA Centre Finland is not able to provide any grants for traveling to the symposium.
Proceedings of the LUMAT 2018 will be published as a special issue in the LUMAT-B journal.
The deadline for submitting manuscripts through the journal’s website will be September 30th, 2018.
More information about preparing manuscripts and submission of them can be found at the journal’s website.
N.B. In addition, the authors of the best articles in the special issue are invited to submit a manuscript for an extended article to be published in the theme issues of the reviewed LUMAT journal in 2019 and 2020.
The symposium is organized by the LUMA Centre Finland.
- The board of the LUMA Centre Finland
Programme Planning Committee
- Director of the LUMA Centre Finland, Prof. Dr. Maija Aksela, University of Helsinki (Chair)
- Administrative support for the director of the LUMA Centre Finland, Lauri Vihma, University of Helsinki (Secretary)
- Executive Director of the Tampere LUMATE Centre Susanna Petäjistö, Tampere University of Technology
- Coordinator of the Tampere LUMATE Centre Laura Salkonen, Tampere University of Technology
- StarT Project Manager Outi Haatainen, University of Helsinki
The hotels listed below have a room quota or special price for participants of the LUMAT 2018. (See the map above for the locations of the hotels.)
The room reservation has to be made directly to the hotel, via their website, by email or by phone. Please remember to include the given booking code when making the reservation.
There might be some changes to the room prices shown on this page. (The LUMA Centre Finland / the University of Helsinki, the Tampere University of Technology or the University of Tampere do not take responsibility over the changes done after the room quota was agreed on.) Please note that the quota in some hotel might be full by the time you are making the reservation.
Please also note that all the quotas/special prices have dates on when the booking has to be made by and after that date there is no guarantee you will be able to reserve a room in that hotel.
The room fee is paid directly to the hotel.
The LUMA Centre Finland / the University of Helsinki, the Tampere University of Technology or the University of Tampere can not provide any grants for accommodation.